09 August 2011

"Why am I doing this?"

A good question to start off the blog with.  I have played role-playing games (like Dungeons and Dragons®, Star Wars®, Mutants and Masterminds®) for over 20 years.  For the first ten years, I had a blast playing with what the rules allowed, but I began to grow frustrated with the games around the 10 year mark.  I wasn't sure what was beginning to "suck" the enjoyment out of the game, so both my group and I started moving around from game system to game system, trying to find a game that we liked playing.  Enjoying was the easy part, we had a great group of players who were really close and did more activities together than just gaming. 


During this period, I started to say to myself "I don't want to play another fighter", we were playing 2nd edition AD&D® at the time.  There was no real difference between Bob the Fighter and Frank the fighter.  So, I set to making my own classes, using the base classes as a guideline.  This was really my first attempt to create something for a game that I had only participated in previously.  Not only did I enjoy creating the classes, I was re-invigorated to play the games.  I continued to create more and more content for the games until I finally came to the realization in 2000, that I should create my own.  And so, the process began.


While working on this for the past 10 years, I have come to some realizations about what I didn't like about those other games (and it has caused many revisions).  Topics I will be diving into, in future blog topics to highlight what makes Viking Baby Games so special compared to all the other games out there.   Among them, are the idea of impossible probabilities, concept shoehorning, overpowering progression, and time-consuming complexity.  My hope is that you will look at the game, play the game, and notice how we successfully navigate these issues to continue giving your character's the feel of adventure, danger and ultimately heroic success.


I entreat you to join us on our voyage!

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I never really thought about how it is only when a game starts to "break" that we move to a different system, but you are right.

    As soon as the game starts to fall apart the group moves to a different system to "keep it fresh" and then we start over at first level the next time we go back to the game so that we don't get that feeling for a while.

    ReplyDelete